Wednesday, August 18, 2004

The Money Line

A new column for the PremBlog. Each week I'll look at the best bets to place to make yourself some imaginary money. For those of you that don't know this, MasterRater as well as allowing you to predict on games also allows you to gamble too. When you register a name you're given $10,000 for each league to wager with. The odds are calculated from the predictions which means if you're quick and smart you can place some bets with some outrageous odds. To predict and bet on AML matches go here, for IML go here and for Pro here.

If I started this Blog last week you could of been in on the Secret/Warlords game. For some reason Warlords were favoured by 24-1. I got in on Secret at 13-1 and won $13,000 on a $1,000 stake. No-one else bet on Secret. Again Warlords are favoured to win this week, this time they're 11-3 over Blasphemy. That's a 3.67x return on a blas win. I'm going to hold off on that as I expect the odds to widen through the week. Warlords are going to put my imaginary kids through imaginary college. EF for some reason are 3 points favourites over Anarchists which is the best bet to make right now. Another one to watch is Llamas vs Zeta. Llamas are favoured 10-4 which gives you a 2.50x payout on a Zeta win. I doubt you'll get better odds on Zeta than that this week and you should get in on it now.

Right now all the action is in AML. You need to have at least 10 predictions on a match before gambling is open on that game and no other league but AML has done that yet. IML is slowly getting there and all the games should be open by tonight. The best bet in IML right now is the Dedication/ReDS match. Dedi are favoured 6-3 which gives you a 2x payout on a ReDS win, but I can't see those odds holding out for much longer. With this being the first round in IML and with most teams working out the rust and trying out new lines I'd be looking to place spread bets. I predict that Nightwatch (+4.5), In Flames (+3.5) and Dragonwings (+2.0) will all make the spread in their matches and are worth betting on.

Betting in Pro isn't even close to being open this round. I think the lack of predictors is mostly due to Pro teams not taking pre-season that seriously. Look for more predictions and gambling to be open when the regular season starts.

That's it for now. I'll let you know how I got in next weeks column.

-Vorbis 'The Greek'

eXTReMe Tracker